Some of our favorite references and links—”go to” places for more about the Civilian Conservation Corps!
Websites and Online Resources
National CCC Sites
- National Park Service CCC History, by John Paige, an administrative history
- The CCC Demonstrating the Value of Soil Conservation, by Douglas Helms, history of CCC and the Soil Conservation Service
- CCC Legacy
- New Deal Legacy: CCC Pages
- James F. Justin CCC Museum pages
Regional CCC Sites: Western U.S. and Colorado
- Colorado Enrollment Index (not a complete list)
- Colorado Preservation Inc.’s list of CCC camps in Colorado
- List of Colorado Camps at CCC Legacy
- CCC Resource Page: Colorado, by Michael Smith; nice summaries of Colorado projects.
- The Forest Army, another blog by Michael Smith, excellent research and stories.
Our CCC Booklist
Our growing library at the Mt. Morrison CCC Camp Museum has many of these titles. Check your local library, or book sources online (we recommend Alibris.com). Please contact us if you have books to donate.
- The Ace in the Hole a Brief History of Company 818 of the Civilian Conservation Corps
- The CCC Chronicles: Camp Newspapers of the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942, Cornebise, Alfred Emile, 2004, McFarland & Co., Inc.
- The CCC in Arizona’s Rim Country: Working in the Woods, Moore, Robert J., U of Nevada Press Reno
- Civilian Conservation Corps: the Way We Remember It, Nolte, M. Chester (ed), 1990
- Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah
- Civilian Conservation Corps: a Selectively Annotated Bibliography, Sypolt, Larry N.,
- The Civilian Conservation Corps in Nevada: From Boys to Men, Kolvet, Renee, and Victoria Ford
- Coming of Age in the Great Depression: The Civilian Corps in New Mexico, Melzer, Richard,
- Creating Colorado: the Making of a Western American Landscape, 1860-1940,
- Fires in the Wilderness: A Story of the Civilian Conservation Corps Boys, Schatzer, Jeffery L.,
- The Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942, Otis, Alison T., US Forest Service
- Forgotten Men: The Civilian Conservation Corps, Ermentrout, Robert Allen,
- The Greatest Generation, Brokaw, Tom. 1998, Random House, New York.
- Gold Medal CCC Company 1538: A Documentary, Smith, Kathy Mays, Turner Publishing
- Happy Days are Here Again (1932 Election, FDR, and how America was changed forever), Neal, Steve, 2005, Harper Perennial
- Hard Work and a Good Deal: The Civilian Conservation Corps in Minnesota, Sommer, Barbara M.,
- History of the Civilian Conservation Corps in Colorado, Summer 1936, compiled by L.A. Gleyre and C.N. Alleger.
- Hobnail Boots and Khaki Suits: A Brief Look at the Great Depression and the Civilian Conservation Corps as Seen Through the Eyes of Those Who Were There, Kiefer, E. Kay,
- I Can’t Forget: Unusual and Humorous Recollections From the ’20s to the ’90s, Volume II, York, Howard F., 1994
- In the Shadow of the Mountain: the Spirit of the CCC,
- In the Shadow of the Trees,
- My CCC Days, Davis, Frank C.
- Nature’s New Deal: the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Roots of the American Environmental Movement, Maher, Neil M.,
- Roosevelt’s forest army: a history of the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942, Merrill, Perry Henry,
- The Soil Soldiers: the Civilian Conservation Corps in the Great Depression, Lacy, Leslie Alexander,
- The Tree Army: a Pictorial History of the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942, Cohen, Stan,
- Trials and Triumphs: A Colorado Portrait of the Great Depression, Leonard, Stephen J., 1993, University Press of Colorado.
- We Can Take It:a Short Story of the C.C.C., Holt, Ray, 1935,
- We Can Take It, Nolte, M. Chester (ed),
- With Picks, Shovels and Hope: The CCC and its Legacy on the Colorado Plateau, Hinton, Wayne with Beth Green
- The WPA Guide to 1930s Colorado,
Leave a comment